Friday, May 15, 2009

I am so proud!

Last week Blaze and Dreamer both received awards for finishing their books from their respective AWANA clubs. AWANA stands for "Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed" and it's based on 2 Tim 2:15, "Be diligent to present yourselves approved to God as workmen who are not ashamed, accurately handling the Word of God."

Here is Dreamer receiving her blue ribbon:



Blaze finished three years of Sparkies (5,6 and 7 year olds) and her third book, and Dreamer finished two years of Cubbies (3 and 4 year olds), and her second book. In order to receive a book award, they must recite verses from memory and work on several projects. Dreamer recited probably about 30 verses, and Blaze probably closer to 100 verses!

Here is Blaze after receiving her plaque:




B. was really proud of all their hard work, and I was too, of course. But he also asked a really good question: how many of all those verses do you think they actually remember?

I'd say Blaze could probably remember 4 or 5 (and then probably only if I prompted her), and Dreamer could remember 2 or 3.

You really only remember the verses you review often, or the ones you really make an effort to think about and work into your life. As I help them memorize verses, I try to get the girls to talk about them, too: what do you think that means? Why do you think Jesus said that? When is it important to remember this verse, and how can it help you?

But all too easily I forget to ask myself these questions as I'm reading my Bible, or even working on my memory verses. It becomes merely a task to be checked off, rather than learning in order to apply, learning to become more Christ-like. How easy it is to become a hypocrite and boast - I memorized a 100 verses! - instead of Lord, help me to live out just one verse this day...

No comments:

Post a Comment