Thursday, March 29, 2007

Comparing worldviews: challenge me

I have always been fascinated by different worldviews, and my own changing perception of how I see the world I live in. A worldview is basically all the presuppositions that influence your outlook on life (http://www.allaboutworldview.org/). A worldview has been compared to a lens which alters the way you view life and how you perceive the world you live in.

There are many factors that can influence worldviews: culture, race, religion/philosophy, history, geography, language, war and other conflicts, to name just a few. I'm most fascinated by religion, philosophy and geography (I am a geographer by profession).

Philosophy and religion address the question "what is truth?"

I do not believe truth is relative, and there are plenty of compelling arguments at www.allaboutphilosophy.org/absolute-truth.htm to support this; but at the same time, one of my favorite quotes is:

Do we believe we hold the truth? No, the Truth holds us… (http://www.thinkingchristian.net/)

So, while I believe Truth is absolute, and is found in its most complete, uncorrupted form in the teachings of Biblical Christianity, I also believe each individual's understanding of the truth is limited to their experience and perception, which should be constantly growing and changing as we learn more and exchange more ideas.

The following blog posts are comparisons of my worldview to other worldviews as expressed in books, movies, or other mediums. I welcome any insight or challenges in regard to my conclusions. Also, if you take the time to read about my worldview, I'll certainly return the favor if you leave a link.

Worldviews part 1: the truth is we need help

Worldviews part 2: What about suffering?

Why Tolerance Isn't Enough

Some thoughts on Avatar and why it is so appealing

No comments:

Post a Comment