Monday, September 30, 2013

September gifts: prayer retreat and pillar of fire

Finally catching up on all the blessings add to my 1000 gifts list. I write these on my calendar, and then as I have a chance I type them up to share here with more details, as a record for my family and another offering of thanksgiving to God.  

696. Fire tornadoes, real pillars of fire
I had never heard of these before! But they are real! Absolutely amazes me the wild things in God's creation They are also called fire whirls. (This is a picture from the web. As neat as these are, I'm not sure I'd want to see one in real life!)

697. Tubing on the Missouri
We almost always get to go tubing when we visit Grandma and Grandpa B's, this time over Labor Day. Blaze and Dreamer are getting quite good at it, Uncle R. had to really bounce them hard over the wake to finally toss them off! I even tried it - what a rush! 

698. Don't color too hard, you'll break your color bone
Starlet tripped over a toy in the yard and cracked her collar bone enough that she had to wear a sling for a few weeks. She mispronounced "collar" once, prompting Uncle T, who is a terrible tease, to ask her if she broke her color bone by coloring too hard.

699.  "What are those humans doing over there?"
One of the adorably odd things about Serious is the way she refers to people as humans all the time. When I ask what she's drawing, she often saws, "I'm drawing humans." Or she'll ask "what are those humans doing over there?"

700. virtual 3D cave
 I got to see a demonstration of the University of Wyoming's new virtual three dimensional "cave" and it was so amazing! You could walk right inside of a spinning virtual globe; jump from the top of a virtual building to the ground; and see the inside of a 3-d representation of a living brain.


701. lizard usb
At our local GIS conference this year I won a lizard usb (flash drive in the shape of a lizard!) After horses, lizards are my favorite animal, and I collect little plastic toy lizards, so this was a fun addition to the collection. 

702. Unexpected agent compliment
After an agent requested the first 100 pages of my young adult book, she did "pass on it" but she took the time to compliment some things about my book, which I am told is a very good sign, as in, "this isn't the right fit for me, but it's good writing"

The next four are from the prayer retreat held by our church at the Snowy Range Lodge up in the mountains.

703. Honey gold of sun shining in on polished logs in lodge

704. Bible jeopardy
The perfect game for this Bible geek!

705. Silent prayer with friends 
Joining other women by the wood stove in the lodge to read the Word and pray on our own and in silent companionship. Normally I would expect women to gravitate to the other more social options at the retreat (or give into the temptation to talk) but I found it so encouraging to be with this quiet group. I prayed through Psalm 40.

706.  All Creatures of Our God and King
I love Fernando Ortega's version of this song. Actually I love any version!

All creatures of our God and King,
    lift up your voice and with us sing,
    O praise ye!  Alleluia!
    O brother sun with golden beam,
    O sister moon with silver gleam!
    O praise ye!  O praise ye!
    Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

O brother wind, air, clouds, and rain,
    by which all creatures ye sustain,
    O praise ye!  Alleluia!
    Thou rising morn, in praise rejoice,
    ye lights of evening, find a voice!
    O praise ye!  O praise ye!
    Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

O sister water, flowing clear,
    make music for thy Lord to hear,
    Alleluia!  Alleluia!
    O brother fire who lights the night,
    providing warmth, enhancing sight,
    O praise ye!  O praise ye!
    Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

All ye who are of tender heart,
    forgiving others, take your part,
    O praise ye!  Alleluia!
    Ye who long pain and sorrow bear,
    praise God and on him cast your care!
    O praise ye!  O praise ye!
    Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

 Let all things their Creator bless,
    and worship him in humbleness,
    O praise ye!  Alleluia!
    Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,
    and praise the Spirit, Three in One!
    O praise ye!  O praise ye!
    Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment