Sunday, November 6, 2011

1000 gifts: tea fixes everything

Continuing my list of gifts, blessings that I write down to remember all the wonderful things that God gives me along life's journey (from Ann Voskamp's book and her blog, A Holy Experience).


356. Tea fixes everything
This is an amusing quote from a book I recently read (Illusions, by Aprilynne Pike):
As far as her mom was concerned, tea fixed everything. Have a cold? Have some tea. Broken bones? There's a tea for that too. Somewhere in her mother's pantry, Laurel suspected, was a box of tea that said, 'In case of Armageddon, steep three to five minutes.”


357. Finally, a truly great candidate for the presidential election

358. Dinner at Turtle Rock Cafe
B. got  a gift certificate for a free dinner for us at Turtle Rock Cafe, which by day is a coffee house, by Wednesday night transformed into a charming Italian restaurant. I about melted over the chocolate torte for dessert. 


359. Fundraiser for finding the cure
Stars' mom is running in a marathon to raise money for cancer research. Her own mother died of cancer. When she found out that B.'s mother is also fighting cancer now, she graciously added her name to her "in honor of" ribbons.

360. Fun with four-wheelers
B. was able to trade for a used four-wheeler and get it running again (he is a mechanical whiz!). It's big enough that all four girls can pile on the back and ride (at least at slower speeds) - we've had so much fun with it this fall. Perhaps that best fun was chasing Jewel around our pen with it! (She's the spunkiest of our horses - not afraid to kick up her heels at the noisy beast chasing her)

361. Party cats and pandas
Here's Stars dressed up for Halloween (top left) with her friends - she was a Party Cat (kitty ears with a party hat) and her best friend Chesca (bottom right) was a panda. I loved their creativity!
362. Pinning hair up with chopsticks
Blaze is an expert at twisting her hair up, and keeping it up with just a single pen! But for Halloween she wanted a pair of chopsticks to pin her hair up, and a Japanese kimono. I did find a Japanese robe that worked for her. Dreamer was an Egyptian princess, Starlet wore Dreamer's bride costume from dance recital, and Serious wore a Tinkerbell costume.

363. Riding reinless
Blaze and Stars participated in a training show and Stars decided to ride her horse, Roy, in one of the classes without reins, just to show off. She would have won, too, but the judge said that reins were a requirement. It was still neat to see her horse perform beautifully with only leg cues! Both girls also wore pink ribbons on their saddles, for Grandma Joy, fighting breast cancer.

364. Daddy's solution to kids fighting over toys
He got the Bible out and gave them a bible lesson! Love it! 

365. Swan Lake ballet
Mom and I took Blaze to see the ballet Swan Lake a few years ago. This year, it was Dreamer's turn to go - she loved it! I still love it too, I could go see it every year. Sleeping Beauty is actually my favorite of the great Tchaikovsky ballets, but Swan Lake is my second fav, then the Nutcracker.

366. Walking to work
We have had such a beautiful fall this year, that I started parking at different locations  around campus so I could walk a different route to work each day - enjoying the "tree area" of Laramie with all the old houses, many of them refurbished and landscaped with gorgeous wildflower and rock gardens, some of them even with little streams, waterfalls or miniature ponds.

367. Lyrics from Always, by Kristian Stanfill

My foes are many, they rise against me
But I will hold my ground
I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm
My help is on the way, my help is on the way

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always, always

Troubles surround me, chaos abounding
My soul will rest in You
I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm
My help is on the way, my help is on the way

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always, always

I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
From You Lord, from You Lord

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always, always

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always, always

No comments:

Post a Comment