Thursday, January 24, 2008

back on track, gaining momentum

Started writing again, finally. It took a "word war" to get started again. Learned about this simple motivational technique from NANWRIMO. Get together with another writer friend (N.L.) choose how long you plan to write (we tried 10 minutes for starters), and then - race to see who can type the most words in the given time period. For our first word war, I only managed a painful 220 words (N.L. achieved over 500, and what she shared was good writing, too). I fared a little better in our next word war, which was 25 minutes, 620 words. Provided enough inspiration to start writing on my own again. I typed over 1000 words last night.


I do have another motivation, though. My stepdaughter asked to read my book. I warned her it wasn't finished yet, and parts of it were still really rough. But she blazed through the first 200 pages in one day, and has devoured the subsequent 80 pages I fed her (the rough draft from November). So now I am scrambling to get more written. She's had a couple suggestions for changes (one I liked immediately: it opens up more possibilities for a sequel), but for the most part she seems to really like my book. At least, she says she does. And as fast as she's reading it, it's not boring her. Another good sign: she's the target age I'm writing for.
Enough blog writing. Gotta save the words for the real stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment